Monday, October 02, 2006

Sunflowers and window frames


As some of you will probably know, I've been working on a photography/multi-media project this year. So far the ingredients are sunflowers and window frames. The central idea is about how framing affects what we see, and our choices in that. As I've been looking at framing in its widest sense, I've been wandering off into issues of preservation and decay, aging and the cycle of life. But I think I'm now seeing all that as a different project. Maybe the sunflowers will feature there too, I don't know yet.

Anyway, acquiring and experimenting with the window frames was the first stage, and I think I'm pretty happy with all that. I'm still photographing sunflowers, even though they're looking pretty old and tired now. My current stage is experimenting with different printing techniques and materials for the image, and the paint and other media I'm using too. I've found some A4 sheets that go through my inkjet printer that are made of a whole range of materials: canvass, silk, linen and cotton. And I'll be sending some images to be laboratory printed onto canvass too.

The plan is to be able to show some of this work to the local town councillor for culture and see if I can get a date for an exhibition in the art gallery some time next year.

No comments: