Thursday, June 16, 2005

Cutting the lawn's quite a big job

We don't really go in for boasting round here. Certainly not of the mine's bigger than yours type. But i have to take my hat off to my next door neighbour. I've had some lawn mowers in my time, but I've never had one as big as his. I tackle the little lawn in the courtyard myself with a Briggs and Stratton four-stroke; I need a fairly hefty strimmer, sometimes fitted with a blade for boundaries of the garden walls and potager, (two-stroke); but I need Dan the man with his John Deer and hay-cutter for the (albeit small) field out the back (Diesel). The picture is of the round bailer that collected the paltry amount of hay; not even enough to make one round bail. Still it makes me feel less guilty when we go and get a small sack of hay every month for the apple of my eye's guinea pigs.

We're well into hay-cutting season now, although the weather isn't helpful. It's all over the place at the moment, sun, rain, hail, thunderstorms, sun and wind. It's great for bird watching. We get the best views of the red and royal kites at this time of the year. Getting a picture is a challenge, but I'm still at yet. If I get one, you'll be the first to know!

No comments: