Tuesday, June 07, 2005

Putting worries in the garden

My love of gardens keeps me healthy, and ensures I spend at least some time every day away from this machine and in the fresh air. My garden is also where I do quite a lot of thinking. I've been out early today sowing my carrots before the phase of the moon becomes less favourable for root crops and more favourable for flowers. I've been following my lunar calendar this year as most of my neighbours do; I don't know if it will make any difference, but its a fun way to have a bit of pattern and structure in what needs doing when.

Having got my hands dirty with the carrots, I decided to dig up and use the self-seeded flowers from last year's dead heads. The common name for the ones I just moved is 'soucis', worries. i thought it was a nice idea, putting my worries in the garden. If I find myself worrying inside, I'll just remind myself I've already put all my worries in the garden. Great!

No comments: